Well, as you can probably guess, I have an abundance of lime around me and so, I'm doing the best thing I can do with it, make pie! :) :) That and the fact that I got gifted Nigella's ' How to be a Domestic Goddess', which is filled with many many of such lime n lemony treats. Its truly a simple recipe and what I like about it is because we make it in small tart tins, it gives us scope for experimentation. The basic recipe stays the same, but you can always add different flavouring agents to it and so you end up a dozen or more pies, all in different flavours! An assorted pie tray of sorts. Well, I tried many of them. Tried the basic lime pie, key lime pie, orange pie, passion fruit pie and pineapple pie. Stayed on course with tropical fruit though. Its really simple, you should most definitely try it. You don't even need freshly squeezed juice to get the flavour, packaged organic juice works just fine. Nonetheless the name of the post is Nigella's Mini Key Lime Pie cause, well it is her recipe after all and all I've done is make changes to it.
Here is what you need,
Here is what you need,
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 250 gram digestive biscuits
- 100 grams of butter
- about 4 tbsp of key lime/lime/pine apple/passion fruit/orange juice (Not all at the same time but you know that already. However, I wonder if adding spoonful of each would give it a carribean flavour?? Hmmm..I wonder)
- A pinch of salt
- Pulse the digestive biscuits and butter together in a food processor until it forms nice buttery crumbs.
- Then press it into your mini tart tins. Take care to line the sides too.
- Leave in the fridge for atleast 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks together until it becomes thick.
- Continue whisking and add the condensed milk and the fruit juice of your choice. Mix well.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites plus the salt until it forms soft peaks.
- Now fold the whites in to the yolk mixture.
- Pour it into the biscuit base and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Leave it to cool completely. Refrigerate if possible.
- Serve! Yum!
The only disappointment I had with these pies, and it was more my fault than theirs, was that they looked a bit boring! I expected my lime pie to be green and my orange pie to be, well, orange and so on. I know I am being silly but really, these neutral colours broke my heart a little.:(