Thursday 18 August 2011

Crispy Fried Cauliflower Florets

As a person I like to multi-task. I am never doing only one thing at a time and most of the times I get pulled up for this. Like, I can never read only one book at a time or I can never only just be watching televison, I just have to constantly work other things in to the equation. Like when I am baking cookies, I have to make ice cream with the crumbs, or I have to be on phone when I am watching television or sometimes even reading a book. Most of the times it can be rather annoying to the people around me, but like I keep telling them, "trust me, I have a system". So, quite naturally, I am partial to vegetable that can do two things at once, like my little cauliflower florets, which can  be appetizers/ snacks and then made into a curry in a jiffy.I have prepared crispy fried cauliflower florets today, but I'll show you how in a few quick steps it can be made into yummy curry too.

Here are the things you need,

  • 1 large cauliflower cut into little florets
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 corn flour
  • 1 tsp paprika/chilly powder
  • salt to taste
Method:
  1. Mix together the flour, cornflour,paprika and salt together along with water to form a thick batter.
  2. Dip the cauliflower florets into it and coat it with the batter well and fry it in oil.
  3. Serve!
Now, if you wanted to make a curry out of it, then this is what you would have to do,

  1. In a large pan, saute diced onions, green chillies, finely diced ginger and garlic.
  2. Then add diced bell peppers to it and saute until slightly soft.
  3. Now add some soy sauce and tomato sauce and mix well.
  4. Now add the fried cauliflower florets and toss it well, until the sauce coats everything.
  5. Mix a 2 heaped tsp of flour with water and pour into the pan. This will thicken the sauce. If however, the sauce seems too think, then add a little more water to dilute it.
  6. Let it remain on heat for 2 minutes and then serve hot! 



4 comments:

  1. Yum! I am dying to try this recipe! Looks amazing. Wonder how I could make it a bit healthier though. Hmmm.

    Just found your blog, and it looks great. Can't wait to look around some more!

    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Thanks Miriam. Well, one way to make it more healthy would be to brush on some oil and bake it, but i wonder if it would turn out crispy though. However, you could still work the curry with the baked florets, just not sure how it would hold up as an appetizer! Lemme know if you try it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really interesting. I've never heard of fried cauliflower, but why not? I'm sure it would hold up well that way. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yea it does. Infact this recipe work out wonderfully with broccoli too. but because broccoli is a tad rougher than cauliflower, I boiled it in salted water for a few minutes first. Its a great way to get the kids to eat veggies too. **Sigh** Now if only deep frying was healthy too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! You know I love feedback, so drop me a line..make my day :)

Disqus for Cook's the word