My lil one turned 2 today and I am in denial. Its seems strange that me, who still cannot believe that she is married and a mum, has a toddler in his twos. Wow! Anyways, this post is not about my denials but about him my superstar, lil Z. So like any other toddler, Z has a couple of things he loves. Wake him up in middle of the night and he will happy to devour them. His favourite foods and my guilty food cause I usually turn to them only when a) he is not eating anything else and b) because its all the "wrong foods" for him. Anyways, since this being a momentous occasion and all, after all you only turn 2 once, I decided to bake him a cake with all his favourites. So, what are his favourites you ask? Lemme list it for you.
- Fruit loops
- Cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate chips
- Crayons ( Dont ask, I have crayons with bite marks on them all over the house)
So then, I thought and thought and thought as to how I could incorporate all his favourites into one and voila..'All his favourite birthday Day' aka Rainbow cake with cream cheese frosting, decorated with fruit loops, sprinkles and liberally strewn with chocolate chips. 'I left the waxy crayons out and drew inspiration form their lovely colours. Needless to say, I think it was his best birthday yet. :)
Here is what you need,
- One packet white cake mix. Any box cake will do. I used a Pillsbury white cake mix
- Food colouring
For the frosting,
- 8 oz of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 stick of butter also at room temperature
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
For extra garnish,
- 1 small box of Ferraro Rocher
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Handful of fruit loops
- Prepare the cake batter as per the instructions on the box.
- Now divide them into 7 equal parts and add the food colouring of your choice and mix well.
- Now, proceed to put on colour in to the baking tray and as it spreads in the tray, put the next colour on top. Keep putting all the colours in concentric circles ( the cake tray will resemble a dart board at this point) untill all the batter is in the tray.
- Now bake it according to the instructions on the box.
- While it is baking, cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Then add the icing sugar and continue to mix it using an electric whisk.
- Now add the vanilla essence and whisk until fluffy.
- Refrigerate the frosting to set a bit.
- Once the cake is baked and cooled, proceed to frost the cake.
- Then decorate it using any of the garnishes mentioned above or just about anything of your choice.